Friday, July 08, 2005

SLIP UP OVER BRIDGE PLANS

08 July 2005

I can well appreciate people's comments over the Slip Bridge and that decisions have already been made. I feel the bridge should be returned to its rightful place of origin and I wonder how many people would agree with me if they were aware of the proposals for the abutments of our beloved bridge.

My partner and I recently had a letter from Chris Holley. In it he mentions that on the beach side, toilets and a water spray are to be installed and that on the town side, the abutments will be put to commercial use - an ice-cream parlour and cafe. This, I fear, causes a safety problem, as people on the beach will inevitably be asked by children for ice creams and so on and how will they access the shop? Across a busy Mumbles Road, by pedestrian crossing.

But how many people will inevitably dodge the busy traffic rather than wait for the lights to change in their favour?

This will be an accident waiting to happen. It will create a problem for motorists and pedestrians alike.However, if the bridge was put back, it would be safer for all to cross the busy Mumbles Road.

I want the people of Swansea to know what the proposals are and decide what their views would be.

I am all for these amenities, but at what safety cost?

Ms L Davies
Manselton Road
Manselton
Swansea

P.S. What a waste of money. We already had toilets there and they pulled them down when they could have renovated them.